Be SME for bridge structure in QLD sections of the Program. Provide support, advice and design validation to the internal teams and the contractors.
The Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) plays a critical role in the national transport supply chain and in the overall economic development of Australia. Managing and operating more than 8,500 km of track in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Queensland, makes ARTC one of Australia's largest rail network owners.
The Inland Rail Program is a 1700km rail infrastructure project stretching from Brisbane to Melbourne incorporating new and existing rail track. The program includes the upgrading of existing standard gauge track, the enhancement of existing standard gauge track to cater for double stacking and the construction of new standard gauge links comprising of viaducts, tunnels, rail track, crossings and bridges. More information relating to the project can be found here: http://inlandrail.artc.com.au.
About the Position
Inland Rail Program is evolving with project milestones and the Engineering team is getting ready for the delivery phases.
We are now looking for a Structural Engineer Bridges to oversee the QLD sections of the Program.
Reporting to the Principal Structural Engineer, the incumbent supports Inland Rail program of works by providing discipline advice and design review within the nominated area of expertise.
Critical to this role is ensuring that the programs of work are supported in obtaining design acceptance, meet IR delivery requirements and assurance objectives, through undertaking engineering reviews and providing structural engineering advice.
The incumbents will work with the Project Teams to provide high-level review of structural engineering, design, scoping, analysis and calculations as required program wide and will routinely liaise with consultant and contractors to ensure design are delivered to the required standard.
The responsibilities will be but not limited to:
- Undertake engineering judgement, interpretation, and analysis of data to develop and implement good practice structural engineering solutions to the technical, safety, commercial and delivery aspects of projects
- Support the Contractors’ design team to achieve IR and ARTC’s design objectives for structure aspects of the works package.
- Advise the Principal Structures Engineer, Design Managers and other project personnel on geotechnical challenges that may arise during the project, with a view to resolving the challenges.
- Develop and champion structures value management opportunities.
- Provide advice on structures matters to help administer contracts.
- Facilitate the change management process for structures related changes
- Support responding to relevant engineering RFIs
- Support decision making and/or facilitating waiver process
- Provide technical support to resolve non-compliances
- Facilitate communication between project teams, designers, specialist structural engineering providers and the contractor where appropriate.
This role will develop key relationships across the program with both internal and external parties outside of the engineering remit. This is an opportunity for proactive and collaborative individuals to be Subject Matter Expert on a Nation Building Project and shape standards in the Rail Industry.
To ensure your success in this position, you will be able to demonstrate:
- Degree in civil or structural engineering or equivalent from a recognised institution.
- Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng), or the ability to obtain CPEng status.
- Registered Professional Engineer Queensland (RPEQ), or working towards it.
- Sound knowledge of structural bridge engineering design.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Word and ExcelHigh level conceptual and analytical skills, with a demonstrated ability to analyse complex issues and resolve technical issues.
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a challenging and dynamic work environment.
- Demonstrable ability to work in an organised well-ordered manner.
- Track record of meeting deadlines.
- Problem resolution skills with experience in relationship management.
- High level interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to negotiate and influence outcomes.
- Driver's license – class C.
- 7 + years’ experience
- Well-rounded experience in project delivery working and coordinating with/for road and rail managers on delivering their scope and requirements to relevant engineering standards and guidelines
- Assisting with the management of scope and requirements for interfacing road and rail managers to ensure they are fit for purpose, and incorporation into project delivery documentation
- Assisting with scope and technical requirements resolution
- Technical review and coordination of technical memos and technical workshops, as required
- Design and construction experience in structural engineering disciplines, particularly road and rail bridges and culverts.
- Experience in the management and review of design work for major transport infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrated structural engineering experience in green and brown field infrastructure development
- Sound knowledge of:
- Transport and Main Roads, Queensland Rail and ARTC engineering standards, specifications, documents, processes and practices.
- Australian Standards for track infrastructure including the railway National Code of Practice.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully across a diverse stakeholder group including Local Government Authorities, State Authorities, the private sector, public sector special interest groups, and Federal Government sectors.
You will join the largest Rail Infrastructure Program ever built in Australia at a time where the overall project is entering a fast-paced delivery mode
Inland Rail has a strong commitment to provide social value across the program and you will get to work with local businesses who provide jobs in rural area including various indigenous business.
Challenging status quo in the industry Inland Rail is proud to have over 40% female representation across the program and we would like to see these numbers grow thanks to you
The role is a permanent role enabling you to see the completion of the project. Your contribution will enable ARTC to deliver a highly digitally advanced engineering project that will set up standards for the rail industry across Australia.
Inland Rail an equal opportunity employer
Inland Rail will transform how we move goods around Australia – better connecting producers to markets and creating new opportunities for businesses, industries and regional community. The values that drive us and the work we deliver in the program incorporate Future Thinking, Active Engagement, No Harm and Results. We welcome like-minded individuals who value our culture.
At Inland Rail, we celebrate, support, and thrive on attracting people from all horizons and walks of life for the benefit of our employees, our program, and our community. ARTC is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates to submit their details to us. All employment is decided based on suitability to the role, cultural fit, merit, and business needs
As part of the application process, you will be required to undergo pre-employment reference and medical checks, including drug and alcohol testing and provide your current Covid-19 Vaccination certificate or medical exemption prior to securing this role.
If this position is of interest, please click 'Apply Now'. Please note that applications are reviewed from point of advertising do don’t delay your application.
- Based in Brisbane, QLD
- Mega-Project exposure Iconic Inland Rail Program
- Permanent Opportunity
Date posted: January 11, 2022