Works and planning
Due to its scale and complexity, the Narrabri to North Star section is broken into two stages to allow Phase 1 construction to continue while planning and environmental approvals are finalised for Phase 2.
Watch a fly-through of the project
Get a birds-eye view of the Narrabri to North Star project. This video shows the alignment as of November 2020. The fly-through video is for illustration purposes and for discussion and community consultation.
Phase 1: Narrabri North to North Star
Phase 1 includes upgrading 171km of track between Narrabri North and North Star.
Trans4m Rail, a joint venture between contractors John Holland and SEE Civil, was announced in November 2020 as the principal contractor for Phase 1 works.
Our works in Phase 1 includes:
- constructing five new crossing loops with associated maintenance sidings
- installing 220 rail culverts, 98 road culverts and additional irrigation crossings
- upgrading, relocating or consolidating almost 80 level crossings and five pedestrian crossings
- relocating power and telecommunications utilities
- modifying Moree Station and minor works at Bellata Station.
Phase 2: Moree to Camurra
Phase 2 of Narrabri to North Star involves upgrading 11.8km of existing track and building 1.7km of new track across the Mehi-Gwydir floodplain at Camurra, north of Moree.
We are currently conducting environmental assessments and technical investigations in conjunction with extensive consultation with landholders, local councils, and industry groups. Engineering design consultants WSP Australia and Mott MacDonald Australia are developing the Environmental Impact Statement for this phase.
Our works in Phase 2 includes:
- revising the position of the railway corridor to provide the maximum operational efficiency. This includes bypassing the current hairpin turn at Camurra
- raising railway heights to achieve improved flood immunity and enhance operational capability
- replacing and realigning existing bridges over the Mehi and Gwydir rivers
- upgrading cross drainage and associated flood management works
- modifying, closing or replacing level crossings to improve safety, integrate with the revised railway alignment and maintain property access
- replacing or upgrading of utilities, infrastructure and fencing affected by the track upgrade.
Phase 2 works will link to Phase 1 construction and the Mungindi line that branches off at Camurra.
May 31, 2021
Construction look ahead May – July 2021
Construction is well underway along the Narrabri to North Star Phase 1 project.
May 30, 2021
On the Narrabri to North Star Phase 1 project alone, we will remove more than 70,000 timber sleepers from the track, and we are investigating ways that these can be reused by the community and across the country.