Works and planning for Phase 2: Moree to Camurra
Phase 2 of Narrabri to North Star involves upgrading approximately 13km of track and building approximately 2km of new track across the Mehi-Gwydir floodplain at Camurra, north of Moree.
The project is currently in the approvals phase, with the public exhibition of the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) having concluded in November 2022. We are currently working with the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE) on the next steps in the process which involves us developing a Response to Submissions Report.
In late 2021 ARTC Inland Rail appointed Laing O’Rourke as the preferred contractor for the Central Civil Works Program, which includes delivery of the Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 project.
Investigations, detailed design and consultation will continue as the project approaches construction, which is expected to begin in late 2025.
Works in Phase 2 include:
- revising the position of the railway corridor to provide the maximum operational efficiency. This includes bypassing the current hairpin turn at Camurra
- raising railway heights to achieve improved flood immunity and enhance operational capability
- replacing and realigning existing bridges over the Mehi and Gwydir rivers
- upgrading cross drainage and associated flood management works
- modifying, closing or replacing level crossings to improve safety, integrate with the revised railway alignment and maintain property access
- replacing or upgrading of utilities, infrastructure and fencing affected by the track upgrade.
Phase 2 works will link to the Phase 1 upgraded rail line and the Weemelah line that branches off at Camurra.
Watch a fly-through of Phase 2
Get a birds-eye view of the Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 project. This video shows the alignment as of February 2022. The fly-through video is for illustration purposes and for discussion and community consultation.
December 21, 2023
Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 operational noise consultation to start in early 2024
Early in the new year we will be consulting with residents near the rail line in Moree, north of Alice Street, about potential impacts from noise once Inland Rail becomes operational. We want to inform residents about the possible noise levels at their homes and understand their views on noise mitigation options available to them.
December 11, 2023
Narrabri to North Star Phase 1 project update December 2023
On 27 October 2023, project staff, civic leaders and other key stakeholders came together in Milguy to mark the official completion of major construction on the Narrabri to North Star Phase 1 section.