Works and planning for Phase 2: Moree to Camurra
Phase 2 of Narrabri to North Star involves upgrading approximately 13km of track and building approximately 2km of new track across the Mehi-Gwydir floodplain at Camurra, north of Moree.
The project is currently in the approvals phase, with the public exhibition of the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) having concluded in November 2022. We are currently working with the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE) on the next steps in the process which involves us developing a Response to Submissions Report.
In late 2021 ARTC Inland Rail appointed Laing O’Rourke as the preferred contractor for the Central Civil Works Program, which includes delivery of the Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 project.
Investigations, detailed design and consultation will continue as the project approaches construction, which is expected to begin in late 2025.
Works in Phase 2 include:
- revising the position of the railway corridor to provide the maximum operational efficiency. This includes bypassing the current hairpin turn at Camurra
- raising railway heights to achieve improved flood immunity and enhance operational capability
- replacing and realigning existing bridges over the Mehi and Gwydir rivers
- upgrading cross drainage and associated flood management works
- modifying, closing or replacing level crossings to improve safety, integrate with the revised railway alignment and maintain property access
- replacing or upgrading of utilities, infrastructure and fencing affected by the track upgrade.
Phase 2 works will link to the Phase 1 upgraded rail line and the Weemelah line that branches off at Camurra.
Watch a fly-through of Phase 2
Get a birds-eye view of the Narrabri to North Star Phase 2 project. This video shows the alignment as of February 2022. The fly-through video is for illustration purposes and for discussion and community consultation.
November 20, 2023
People of the project: Team player and quality assurance master Mike Harris
In our last interview of the ‘people of the project’ series we catch up with passionate Project Quality Lead, Mike Harris. Mike explains the role of quality assurance in rail construction and what happens now that major construction on Narrabri to North Star is finished.
October 20, 2023
People of the project: Moree local and construction convert Libby Carter
This month, Moree local and Narrabri to North Star Phase 1 Commercial Lead, Elizabeth ‘Libby’ Carter lets us into her world at Inland Rail and reveals how the project has changed her community and the trajectory of her career.