Inland Rail proactively supports local and Indigenous small to medium enterprises (SMEs) and social enteprises to grow and diversify.
Business Capability Development Program
Our Business Capability Development Program provides local and Indigenous SMEs and social enterprises located along the Inland Rail alignment with access to workshops, presentations and mentoring support aimed at improving their understanding of how to supply to Inland Rail.
The program helps these businesses:
- Prepare a business capability statement
- Create a business profile on ICN Gateway and register their interest in supply opportunities
- Improve their approach to tendering
- Understand Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) requirements, and
- Effectively manage their contracts
Other support programs
Businesses are also encouraged to seek assistance from the following organisations:
Australian Government – www.business.gov.au
Australian Industry Group – www.aigroup.com.au
Regional Development Australia – www.rda.gov.au
New South Wales
Business Connect – www.business.nsw.gov.au
SafeWork NSW – www.safework.nsw.gov.au
Business Queensland – www.business.qld.gov.au
Construction Skills Queensland – www.csq.org.au
WorkSafe Queensland – www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/injury-prevention-safety/small-business
Toowoomba and Surat Basin Enterprises – www.tsbe.com.au
Business Victoria – www.business.vic.gov.au
WorkSafe Victoria – www.worksafe.vic.gov.au
Support for Indigenous businesses
We know that Indigenous businesses are more likely to employ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and bring a range of other social, cultural and economic benefits to Indigenous business owners, their families and communities.
We are committed to supporting Indigenous businesses to ensure they are prepared for and provided with opportunities to participate in Inland Rail.
We understand there may be challenges to overcome in achieving our Indigenous participation goals for Indigenous employment and business.
We know that success will take commitment, planning and strong partnerships with Indigenous communities, industry and government.
To achieve our goals for Indigenous business participation we will:
- provide information and access to support in a range of formats, including our website, industry and employment events and a network of regional and project offices
- work in project planning stages to understand the opportunities that will come from Inland Rail and the capability of local Indigenous communities to take up these opportunities
- work with Indigenous communities, industry and government agencies to support the design and delivery of training and development programs to improve local capability where this is needed
- work with key partners to link training and development programs with other projects and local industries to provide the greatest regional benefit
- ensure Indigenous participation is included as a key element of all tender assessments
- include Indigenous participation targets in our contracts and work closely with contractors to achieve agreed outcomes.
Additionally, we provide one-on-one support for Indigenous businesses to improve their capability and service offering to Inland Rail.
Please contact our Indigenous participation advisors to find out how we can help you.
Indigenous businesses are also encouraged to seek assistance from the following organisations:
Indigenous Business Australia – www.iba.gov.au
Many Rivers – www.manyrivers.org.au
National Indigenous Australians Agency – www.niaa.gov.au
Supply Nation – www.supplynation.org.au
New South Wales
Aboriginal Affairs New South Wales – www.aboriginalaffairs.nsw.gov.au
New South Wales Aboriginal Land Council – www.alc.org.au
New South Wales Indigenous Chamber of Commerce – www.nswicc.com.au
YARPA NSW Indigenous Business and Employment Hub – www.yarpa.com.au
Queensland Department of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships – www.datsip.qld.gov.au
South East Queensland Indigenous Chamber of Commerce – www.seqicc.com.au
Aboriginal Victoria – www.aboriginalvictoria.vic.gov.au
Kinaway Chamber of Commerce – www.kinaway.com.au
March 9, 2021
Businesses meet with Inland Rail proponents on QLD PPP section
Thousands of jobs for Queenslanders will be up for grabs as part of the Queensland public-private partnership (PPP) section of the Inland Rail project, attendees at an information session for local and indigenous businesses were told today.
January 20, 2021
Inland Rail contracts turnout big for Aussie made
Regional Victoria will reap ongoing benefits after the Australian Rail Track Corporation signed an $80 million contract for the local manufacture of Inland Rail turnouts by Vossloh Cogifer’s Australian facilities.