Planning approval documents
Inland Rail has received planning approval from the Australian Government and the NSW Government for Inland Rail’s North Star to NSW/Queensland Border project. We have developed a range of documents for managing the design and construction of the North Star to Border project.
Environmental Impact Statement
The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for North Star to Border was on public display in late 2020.
During this time the community had the opportunity to make a submission about the project to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment (DPE) as part of its assessment of the project.
State planning approval
The North Star to Border project was approved by DPE on 20 February 2023. The following documents support the state planning approval.
- Inland Rail – North Star to NSW/Queensland Border | Planning Portal – Department of Planning and Environment
- Planning Secretary’s Assessment Report
- Infrastructure Approval
- Planning Secretary approval of the Environmental Representative
- Notice of Decision
- Notification of commencement
- Communications Strategy – North Star to NSW/Queensland Border Low Impact Works
- Aboriginal Archaeological Test Excavation Methodology
- Unexpected Heritage Finds
- Unexpected Finds Procedure for Contamination
- Assessment Report App H Peer Review Flooding and Hydrology
- Approval of Five Clawed Worm Skink Species Management Plan E30
- Five-Clawed Worm Skink (Anonalopus mackayi) Management Plan
Federal planning approval
Following the NSW Government approval, the project was assessed by the Australian Government under the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The project was approved by the Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water (DCCEEW) on 21 July 2023.
A copy of the approvals is available on the DCCEEW website by searching EPBC Referral No 2018/8222
September 27, 2023
Important – Fire ant emergency order
On 16 August 2023, the NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) issued an NSW Biosecurity Emergency Order placing restrictions on the movement of fire ant carrier materials from known fire ant infested areas in Queensland into NSW.
August 23, 2023
North Star to NSW/Qld Border Newsletter – Winter 2023
Winter edition of the North Star to NSW/Qld Border quarterly printed newsletter distributed in August 2023 which keeps alignment communities updated on the latest project news and important milestones at Inland Rail.